JACKSON LAW OFFICES, P.C. CAN HELP YOU SEEK COMPENSATION
A fully loaded tractor-trailer can be 70 feet long and weigh 80,000 pounds. On dry pavement, they can take 20 to 40 percent longer to stop than a passenger vehicle. On wet pavement, they eat up even more road to come to a complete stop.
As per the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA), nearly 4,000 people are killed every year in large truck accidents. That’s about 11 people every day. Over 100,000 people are injured every year in large truck accidents. Nearly 75 percent of those fatalities and injuries aren’t occupants of the large trucks involved in the accidents. Nearly all are occupants of passenger vehicles.
If you’ve received a personal injury in truck or tractor trailer accident, it’s important you contact Jackson Law Offices, P.C. as quickly as possible. Our Augusta GA and Columbia SC based lawyers have years of experience with dealing with semi and truck-related injuries. We know what it takes to properly investigate these crashes, identify the parties at fault, and aggressively pursue relief on behalf of the victims.
COMMON CAUSES OF LARGE TRUCK CRASHES
Just as no two injured claimants are the same no two truck accidents are the same, either. There are some common causes of truck accidents that truck accident attorneys see.
Some of those are:
- Driver error like speeding, following too closely or failing to reduce speed when weather conditions require it
- Driver fatigue when hours of service on the road regulations are violated
- Distracted driving like using a mobile or navigational device while in motion
- Equipment failure, especially maintenance issues involving improper maintenance of brakes and tires
- Improper loading with improperly secured loads or loads with too high of a center of gravity
- Negligent hiring of truck drivers with insufficient training or experience
COMMON LARGE TRUCK CRASH INJURIES
Given the weight and size of large trucks, severe or catastrophic injuries and deaths aren’t unusual for a truck accident attorney to see. At Jackson Law Offices, P.C., we are well-versed in working with medical professionals in order to develop a vivid and thorough illustration of the effect these crashes have had on our clients.
These injuries might consist of:
- Permanent traumatic brain and spinal cord injuries
- Spinal fractures and nerve damage
- Severe fractures requiring multiple surgeries
- Organ damage
If you were injured in a large truck crash as a result of the carelessness and negligence of a truck driver or his employer, you’re eligible for an award of damages. State laws allow injury victims to pursue a number of different damages in these cases depending on the extent of their injuries.
Damages are different from case to case, but they generally include:
- Past and future medical bills, therapy and rehabilitation costs
- Past and any future lost earnings
- Any permanent disfigurement
- Any permanent disability
- Pain and suffering
- Funeral and burial costs in the event of a family member’s wrongful death
REFUSE TO GIVE A STATEMENT
It’s important that you hire an Augusta GA truck accident attorney right away after being injured in any large truck crash. It’s likely that an insurance company investigator will be at the scene of your crash before the scene is even cleaned up, and an adjuster will be calling you to “see how you’re feeling.” He or she will want a recorded statement from you as to how the crash occurred. Don’t give it. The law doesn’t require you to give it, and it will only be used against you in the future to attack your credibility.
Contact an Augusta personal injury attorney from our office as soon as possible for a free consultation and evaluation after any truck crash. No legal fees are due until we obtain a settlement or verdict for you.