Experienced Augusta Auto Accident Lawyers to Represent Your Interests, Because the Insurance Companies Look Out for Their Own
An auto accident can take you by surprise. It happens when you least expect them, and it can bring all kinds of hardships and headaches into your life.
You might be injured and in pain. You might be in a hospital or otherwise unable to return to work. Your medical bills might be growing by the minute (maybe even more than you realize).
If you’re like most car accident victims, you just want to get better, put it all behind you, and make sure you get the compensation you need to pay your bills and support your family.
That’s where we come in. As Augusta car accident lawyers, we represent people who have been unfairly injured in a car accident caused by someone else’s negligence.
Why might you need a lawyer? How can an attorney help you get the money you deserve? How should you handle the insurance company (and is it ever okay to just take their settlement offer)?
Below, we answer those questions and provide a general overview of your right to financial compensation under Georgia personal injury law.
What Does a Car Accident Lawyer Do?
Simply put, a car accident lawyer is an experienced professional who fights for your financial rights and looks out for your best interests at every turn.
Getting justice from an insurance company after an auto accident can be a real challenge, especially if you’re trying to face them alone. (We will discuss the insurance companies’ perspective — and the tactics they use to save themselves money – in some of the sections below.)
The right lawyer will have a track record of standing up against powerful insurance companies and persuading them to give injured victims the compensation they’re owed.
Depending on the facts and circumstances of your accident, your Augusta auto accident lawyer might do any or all of the following:
- Negotiate with the insurance companies on your behalf.
- Investigate the accident, working with experts as necessary (accident reconstruction specialists, for example) to determine the true cause of the crash and identify each potentially liable party.
- Recover evidence that might strengthen your claim (e.g. medical records, video surveillance, eyewitness testimony, insurance policy documents, etc.)
- Research court decisions in cases similar to yours in order to build a persuasive case.
- Persuade the insurance company that it is in their own best interest to give you a full and fair settlement rather than risk losing an expensive trial.
- Deal with debt collectors, insurance adjustors, attorneys, and other opposing parties so that you don’t have to.
- Give you honest, reliable advice — because the things you say and do during the negotiation process can have a substantial impact on your ultimate recovery.
- Tend to any procedural requirements and/or deadlines pertaining to the claims process.
- Initiate litigation and represent your interests at trial if that’s what it takes
These are just some of the things your Augusta auto accident lawyer might do for you.
Above all else, your attorney is someone you should be able to look to as a shoulder of support – someone who understands how these legal matters work and who can look out for you.
Why Do I Need a Car Accident Lawyer?
In some cases, you might not. For example, if you are in a very minor auto accident where there are no injuries whatsoever and only minimal property damage, you may be able to resolve the matter fairly on your own. If there aren’t significant damages, and therefore not a lot of money involved, an attorney may not be able to add significant value to your claim.
However, in cases where there are moderate to severe injuries — or if you have incurred any significant financial losses, such as missed wages due to absences from work — hiring an experienced Augusta auto accident lawyer could make all the difference.
Insurance companies want to make your claim go away as quickly as possible and for as little money as possible. By hiring an attorney, you send a message to them: you are serious about your claim, and you are demanding the money you deserve.
The right lawyer can help the insurance company realize that you aren’t going to back down and that giving you a fair settlement is in their best interest.
So while the law in our state does not require you to hire a lawyer, doing so may be the best decision you could make. Studies have shown that accident victims who hire a lawyer tend to recover more money than those who do not.
Should I Accept the Insurance Company’s Offer?
The insurance company isn’t on your side. No matter what their TV commercials say, they are looking out for their own wallets, not yours.
Here’s what you need to know about settlement offers from insurance companies:
- They may significantly undervalue your damages. Insurance companies are notorious for making “lowball” settlement offers. This is often part of a strategy to pressure the victim into taking less than they deserve in order to minimize the insurer’s financial exposure.
- Once you accept the offer, you can never ask for more money. Accepting a settlement offer requires signing a binding “mutual release agreement,” which courts will generally uphold. Unfortunately, car crash victims will sometimes take the settlement and then realize later that they have more medical bills than they realized — or that their injuries are more serious than doctors suspected, or that something didn’t heal properly and now there are costly complications. For these reasons, it’s never a good idea to take a settlement offer too soon without consulting an attorney first.
- Settlement offers may be better for the insurance company than they are for you. Insurance companies do not make settlement offers out of the goodness of their hearts. They do it through careful calculation, using formulas designed to save themselves money.
We understand that it can be tempting to take a settlement offer right away — it might feel like you’re “turning down money,” and that’s hard to do. But you may be able to recover even more money. That’s why it is important to talk with an Augusta auto accident lawyer first. Make sure your decision is a fully informed one.
How Much Does a Car Accident Lawyer Cost in Georgia?
There is a stubborn myth out there that car accident lawyers are unaffordable. On the contrary, hiring an Augusta auto accident lawyer at the Jackson Law Offices, P.C. won’t cost you anything up front at all.
Our office represents car crash victims on a contingency fee basis. That means we don’t charge you anything for our legal services unless we are ultimately successful in getting you money.
If we do succeed, our fee is only a percentage of your recovery. If we don’t succeed, you don’t have to pay us one penny — we take the risk of losing so that you don’t have to risk anything at all. This gives us an incentive to fight hard for our clients, and we think it shows: in the majority of our cases, we have gotten a fair settlement for our clients without having to go to court. (That said, we are prepared to take our clients’ cases to trial if that’s what true justice requires.)
Additionally, we offer an initial, no-obligation consultation at no cost whatsoever — even if you ultimately choose not to hire us. It’s your chance to get preliminary answers to your questions, as well as a general understanding of your rights under Georgia personal injury law.
In many cases, we are also able to advance any costs of litigation so that you don’t have to pay anything up front in order to pursue the justice you deserve.
What Should I Do After a Car Accident in Augusta?
The steps you take after a car accident in Augusta can have a big impact on your ultimate recovery. While there’s a lot to know about the proper response, here are some of the most critical steps:
- Call 911 if anyone needs emergency medical attention.
- Notify the police and stay put until they instruct you to leave.
- Take detailed photographs of the scene, capturing multiple angles.
- Notify your own auto insurance provider of the accident.
- See a doctor for a full post-accident medical exam as soon as possible.
- Contact an experienced Augusta auto accident lawyer ASAP. In fact, we recommend storing this number in your smartphone under “Auto Accident Lawyer” — that way, you have it when you need it: 706-724-2661.
Common Injuries After a Car Accident
No two car accidents are quite alike. Even relatively low-speed collisions can result in a variety of injuries or other damages, which may include:
- Whiplash, neck injuries, or soft tissue injuries (the #1 most common injury)
- Head or brain injuries
- Scrapes, bruises, or lacerations
- Fractured or broken bones
- Knee injuries
- Internal bleeding or organ damage
- Herniated disc, back injury, or spinal cord damage
- Burn injuries
- PTSD or emotional distress
When you schedule a free consultation with our law office, you can talk to an experienced Augusta car accident lawyer about your specific injuries and the damages to which you might be entitled.
While we cannot guarantee specific results in advance, we can help you understand how much money people in similar situations have recovered in the past — and how much money you might be able to recover.
Schedule a Free Consultation with the Jackson Law Offices, P.C.
If you’ve been injured in a car crash in Augusta or anywhere else in Georgia, please call the Jackson Law Offices, P.C. and schedule a free case review right away.
You can talk to one of our experienced Augusta car accident lawyers for free — with no obligations whatsoever — during a complimentary consultation, in person or over the phone.
If you choose to hire us, you won’t have to pay us anything unless and until we get you money. Our fee will only be a portion of your total recovery.
Time limits do apply to car accident claims in Georgia, however, so please don’t delay.